Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Faerie Queene

This allegorical work written by Edmund Spencer has a lot of religious and personal issues all over the letter. Moreover the predominant topic is certainly moral. Moral is definitely represented by virtues; virtues that Spencer manages really well. I think Spencer states his point of view and his moral judgment by making the most of the purpose of an allegory. The author hides his literal meaning by giving a symbolic meaning. There are a lot of words used by Edmund, all of them to express what he thinks is correct. The virtues mentioned in the letter (Holinesse, Temperance and Chastitie) lay between a balance in life. Perhaps his message wasn’t about reaching perfection but to find the right measure in existence. His best example is King Arthur, because he considers the knight brave and perfect in the twelve moral virtues that Aristotle devised.

For me reading this letter was a challenge. At times I thought that I couldn’t understand even a line of it. I am not so sure but I am giving a try; I think Spencer’s intentions are in some way to express his own opinion about the current political issues and to share it with Sir Raleigh. So a letter is the smartest way to pass on his message and to defend himself of misunderstandings.

No comments: